VAT Information Portugal
- 23%VAT percentage high rate
- 13% and 6%VAT percentage reduced and low rate
- Intrastat threshold in Portugal:
- Arrivals € 350.000
- Dispatches € 250.000
Doing business in Portugal: we will assist you with the Portuguese VAT
Is your company based outside Portugal and are you doing business in Portugal, it is possible that you will have to deal with local taxable transactions and services in Portugal.
Perhaps it is necessary to register for the VAT in Portugal. A Portuguese VAT number has to be applied for at the Portuguese Tax Office. After registration for Portuguese VAT, periodical VAT returns for the Portuguese turnover have to be submitted.
Our InterVAT specialists know all rules and legislation when you are trading in Portugal. Outsourcing will save time and money, because you can focus on your core business, while we are taking care of the correct submission of the Portuguese VAT returns in due time.
When it is necessary to apply for a Portuguese VAT number?
Below you will find some examples:
- You are importing goods in Portugal from a country outside the European Union (e.g. from China or Turkey). Subsequently you are selling these goods in Portugal or in other EU countries.
- You buy goods in Portugal (with Portuguese Value Added Tax) and you deliver these goods to customers in other EU countries or you are exporting these goods to customers based in countries outside the European Union.
- You buy goods in Portugal (including Portuguese VAT) and subsequently you sell these goods to customers based in Portugal.
- You are organizing a conference, workshop, seminar or congress in Portugal and you charge registration or a fee for admission.
- You are selling online products to private persons in Portugal.
- You are selling online products via Amazon. And Amazon is asking for a VAT registration number. When you sell online products in several EU countries using the so called Pan-European FBA Programme, you will have to register directly for the VAT. The Amazon warehouses are so called Amazon fulfilment centres. FBA is an abbreviation for Fulfilment by Amazon.
- You are bringing your own goods over to Portugal from another EU country. In this case the delivery is a so called fictive EC sales delivery.
We will check if you have a tax liability in Portugal, and when necessary take care of the VAT registration there, the submission of VAT returns and requests for refund of VAT paid (deductible turnover tax).
Do you need a VAT registration number in Portugal? Or do you need to submit periodical Portuguese VAT returns?Apply for a VAT registration number in Portugal now!